Saturday, September 19, 2009

NFLPA Q&A with Nolan Harrison III


Khalil Garriott
NFLPLAYERS.COM

RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif.—During his 10-year NFL career, Nolan Harrison became known as a steady, consistent defensive lineman who played for the Raiders, Steelers and Redskins. Over 128 games played, he compiled 22 sacks before retiring in 2000. He was a sixth-round pick by the Raiders out of Indiana University in 1991. In this exclusive Q&A with NFLPLAYERS.COM from the 25th annual NFLPA Retired Players Convention, Harrison answers questions about the convention, the importance of the NFLPA, the many areas which keep him busy these days and much more.
Q: Can you talk about the Retired Players Convention and what this event means to you as a retired player?
A: I think the convention gives you a great knowledge and clarity of what the NFLPA is all about and what it can offer and help the guys with. Every year there are always improvements with what the NFLPA is able to bring to the table for us, and the retired players help with that process. I think that it is a good time for guys to get together and see what differences or concerns they have and they can get some clarity so they can walk away and tell their chapter members and the other retired players that they know things are going in the right direction. That’s what this convention represents.
Q: I know you are really involved with retired players for the NFLPA. What has that been like for you, and what has the NFLPA done for you?
A: Oh it’s been great. I have been in the NFLPA since I was a player. I have been on the Executive Committee and now I’m on the Steering Committee and I’m up for re-election for my second term. The NFLPA has always been there for us in terms of benefits, and it’s kind of funny because the first benefit increases were the ones that I voted for. Seeing the benefits and what they are today, being retired and eight years out of the league, I think it’s important to show that perspective. I think it’s important that a lot of the younger guys teach some of the older guys that the young guys do care, they are not selfish and they will continue to give through the next Collective Bargaining Agreement. It’s important because those guys in the past who gave are benefiting from it now in terms of leadership and it has come through a big change.
I am really excited about DeMaurice Smith and what he can bring to us, and I think that we have a solid leader in place to take us to the next step. All I can do as a Steering Committee member and a retired player member is to continue to support the union, support our guys and be a leader like [I was] on the field and now in the community. We need to help the guys who are making that transition.
Q: Are you still President of the Phoenix chapter of retired players?
A: No. I’ve actually relocated to Chicago and that is my hometown and I took a new position with a new firm. So, I will be representing the Midwest. I left Phoenix in good hands.
Q: What do you think the main difference is for a guy who retired in 2009 as opposed to when you retired?
A: Besides the economics of it, a guy who retires in 2009—if he did the right things and took care of his money and his body—would be in much better position eight years out than we [were]. They should be able to really use this NFL experience as a launching pad. If you played three years, were vested and you retired today, you have a great annuity, 401(k) and pension plan built up. You have a nice start because the money is bigger and the longer you play, the greater that start is. I think the guys have a better advantage now but I think I had more of an advantage when I retired than in 1991 because I had the money in, and the money goes as the economy drops.
Q: What do you remember about your playing career?
A: I’ve been out for eight years and I played for 10. I think one of my best memories ever was when I was in the AFC Championship Game. We (the Pittsburgh Steelers) won the AFC Central in 1997 and got to the AFC Championship Game in 1997, and that year was one of my best years. A lot of people counted me out because I came off a serious back injury from two years before so a lot of guys were writing me off. I came back and had one of the best years of my career on a new team and we made it all the way to just before the Super Bowl. We lost to Denver in the AFC Championship Game. John (Elway) got his first Super Bowl at my expense because that was the first and only chance to play in the Super Bowl on my birthday. It was a bittersweet season but I can’t take away all of the great things that happened that year. It was a fun year.
Nolan Harrison being helped off the fieldQ: Do you have any regrets or things you wished you had done differently?
A: I played for L.A., and during my time with the L.A. Raiders—who moved to Oakland—I wish I had kept in contact with a lot of the business contacts, because I’m more of a businessman. When I was a player I didn’t leverage taking advantage of my contacts like I should have. But when you are 22, 23, 24 years old you don’t think of those things. During the later years of my career I could have taken advantage of it but I kind of wish I kept in contact with the people at that time who were really reaching out to me when I was younger. That’s one of the big regrets.
Q: Do you miss the game at all?
A: I miss some things. My body might say something else but I miss some things. I miss going to that locker room, being on that bus and walking into the stadium—whether it was home or away—and everyone had a single purpose and mindset. I miss the crowds, the hits, all the contact and the competition. I miss that, I do. There is a lot of pain and sacrifice that go into getting into Sunday but when Sunday happens, all that stuff goes away. The pain goes away and it is just pure joy.
I always tell people if I can have one moment, it’s going out in the AFC Championship Game, having them announce my name and hearing the crowd go crazy for me. That is something that will always stay with me and it’s a joy that will always be inside. That’s all I can remember, I can see it now. If anyone can ever have that moment, you never want to let it go. I’ll say that over and over.
Q: What takes up most of your time nowadays?
A: Well besides being involved with the financial world, which has been a landmine during the last 24 months, just as you know and everyone else knows, my daughters are the greatest things in the world in my life, I take care of them and try and be as strong of a part in their lives as I can. I also am trying to strengthen my educational experience. I have completed my coursework at the ASU School of Global Management & Leadership for the CFP (Certified Financial Planner) and will be testing for it. I received an MBA scholarship from the University of Phoenix where I will be staring in August. So, just that and spending time with my family are the greatest things.
Q: It sounds like you have quite a full plate.
A: I do, but I am never satisfied. It’s funny; I was just talking about the mindset of guys when they come out [of college] and what they should be doing. One thing has always been to never be satisfied. That’s what I was able to apply for 10 years and that has always been my personality. I’m always trying to get better and these are the things that will get me better.
Q: So what’s next for you?
A: President of whatever firm I’m at. There is nothing that if I work hard at, I can’t achieve. If that worked in the NFL, why can’t that get me to the top of the boardroom?

 

1 comment:

  1. Those are some great questions by the journalist. But even better answers by Mr. Harrison!

    ReplyDelete